Thursday, July 30, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance Recap: The Final Four Revealed

Hey all I'm pulling double duty tonight and recapping both the performance and results show of
So You Think You Can Dance. Like I said in my last post as long as Brandon and Kayla make it through I'll be satisfied, though I'm guessing Melissa and Ade will go home since they both are not as popular as the other four.

Cat is wearing a blinding green shiny dress with her hair pulled back. Not really a great look for her- she looked much better Wednesday night.

The opening number is to "Send in the Clowns" by Judy Collins. The dancers come out from a giant box wearing odd circus costumes. I guess the dance is about sad clowns, but I'm bored right away. The guys do all do a cool jump thing at the same time that gets cheers from the crowd. The whole routine was just weird to me- maybe it was seeing such a slow sad dance while the dancers had on ridiculous makeup. Evan waving to the crowd sadly at song's end was heartbreaking though. It was a Tyce routine, which may be why I didn't like it.

Cat announces that tonight all four Emmy-nominated routines from this season will be performed live! Yay!!!! I wonder if the producers read all the fan complaints about the lack of dances from last season in the 100th episode and decided to remedy that. I'm especially looking forward to the "Bleeding Love" and "Mercy" dances- the other two from last year I honestly don't remember but I know one of them was Will and Jessica. And to top it off Sean Paul is performing his newest song. Wow sounds like quite a show!

First off we have a recap of last night's shows, aka more filler a la American Idol. Why does Cat call last night's samba "sexy" when it failed in that department. I like the hip hop number more in these clips than I did when I saw it live. The judges loved Melissa and Evan's first number but not their second. Brandon and Kayla were the best of the night.

Right after the break we get the results- already? I guess that means they are revealing the bottom four even though there are only six dancers left. First up are the girls. For what it's worth, Jeanine is on the left, which means she is likely safe. She was very good last night. But we don't find out any of the results at first; Cat just goes down the line recapping what the judges said about each dancer. Kayla seems to get the most cheers of the bunch. Cat now will announce one person in the finale- I'm guessing not necessarily the top vote-getter though. Indeed Cat says it is not necessarily the top vote-getter, but they won't have to do a solo. Why don't they just have everyone do solos? It's not like it will take up that much more time to see two short solos? Anyway the first person into the finale is.... Jeanine. I was hoping for Kayla but this is not really a surprise- she is immensely popular and had a solid night last night even when Ade was not keeping up with her. Oddly only Mary and Lil C give her a standing ovation. Lil C says Jeanine has an appetite for success and she shows it every week.

Next up is the first Emmy-nominated piece of the night, Tyce's "Silence" aka the Adam and Eve piece danced by Jessica and Will. What the hell has Will done to his hair- it's all in cornrows and he has a beard?? It looked a lot better last season but his body still looks great. He was my favorite male last year so I was annoyed when he got cut as soon as he did. I don't remember this piece from last season and even now it's boring but at least Will looks as strong as always. Even the crowd doesn't cheer it that much. I would have much rather seen the "No Air" dance rather than this one but oh well.

Now we have our male results. Of course Cat goes through the judges' comments for all the guys before revealing the results. This time Ade is on the left, whatever that's worth. He gets a lot more cheers than I thought he would. In fact it sounds like he got slightly more than Evan did. Brandon doesn't get as many cheers as I thought he would- that's not good. And the first male in the finale is... BRANDON!!!! YAY!!!! Okay now I don't even care who else goes home for the guys as long as he is safe. The only bad thing is we don't get to see his nearly naked solo again. He is in tears! Only Mary stands up for some reason. She calls out Mia and Lil C for not liking him at first (you go, girl) and says he has proven himself every week. She tells him he must believe in himself more, which he does.

Next up is the "Mercy" dance, choreographed by Mia and danced by Twitch and (my overall favorite last season) Katee. Wow Katee is fierce is this number. I kind of forgot how slow it starts out but once she gets going it is great once again. Twitch was only okay but Katee made up for it with her power and anger. Katee even stays in character as they bow, refusing to take Twitch's hand. Afterwards though they share a cute hug.

After the break we go right into the next number, a tango from former contestant (and DWTS pro) Dmitry Chaplin, danced by Chelsie H. and Joshua. I honestly don't remember this routine at all either. Considering I don't remember this routine it is very good. Chelsie in particular shines even though she is partnered with the season 4 winner. I love the fast part towards the end and overall I can see why this was nominated for an Emmy. Aw more hugs with Cat after their performance!

Now we have solos from the four remaining semifinalists not yet in the finals. First up is Melissa, doing her same routine from last night with little choreography. It does have a bit more dancing in it than last night's solo did though. I like Ade's solo even better the second time, and he adds a backflip at the end to boot! I guess he figured if it's his last dance he might as well go out with a bang.

And now another surprise guest- the winners of season 1 of America's Best Dance Crew, Jabbawockeez! I've never actually seen them perform, so all I know about them are those masks they wear at each performance. They dance to "Freak-A-Zoid" by Midnight Star with a giant mask statue behind them. In all honesty I'm not that impressed. Most of their routine is locking and break dancing, neither of which I am big fans of. They are quite good at what they do but I've seen better hip hop dance groups on America's Got Talent.

BTW, I REALLY want to see "Post-Grad". And not just because Matt Saracen from Friday Night Lights is in it (though that doesn't hurt...)

After the break we see the "Bleeding Love" routine by TabNap, danced by Mark and Chelsie! Yay! This was one of my favorite routines last season even though overall I was not rooting for Mark or Chelsie. Just as good the second time around. This dance also seemed to get the most applause out of the four. I really hope this one wins the Emmy, though I think all are worthy except for Tyce's.

Now back to the solos. Kayla's solo is also just as good the second time around, though I still find it odd that she smiles rather than get into the emotion of the choreography. Wow Evan's solo is great too! Love the flip at the beginning and the twirls at the end. Too bad he's not this good in the partner dances or I would like him more...

The final guest of the evening is Sean Paul, singing his hit song "So Fine". Oh yeah I've heard this before, but it's getting late and I don't really like this song so I'm just going to fast forward. Yay for DVR!

So all that's left are the final results. First up are the girls. I hope it's Kayla but I don't care that much now that Janette is gone. Indeed Kayla is safe, so the first person eliminated tonight is Melissa. No big surprise there- she would have gone last week if not for the cancer dance. Kayla looks more relieved than surprised like the other finalists did.

I just realized this past week that this goodbye song is "Already Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, and the reason I always think it sounds like "Halo" is because it actually has the same backing tracks. The writer of both songs gave the same backing tracks to both artists to use on different songs. Whoops. Of course we get her highlights from this season, including her cancer dance and her en pointe dance. Melissa says she did things on this show she never thought she could, like hip hop (even though it was in a group number). That's weird that she never did hip hop in a partner dance- luck of the draw I guess. She wishes good luck to all the ballerinas out there and thanks her husband in the crowd (who is way hot, btw).

Now it's down to the guys. This should be the interesting one. One could argue Evan was better last night but Ade has been better overall and is the more versatile dancer. Nigel points out that there are no losers on this show- every dancer in the top 20 gets exposure and a chance to work with great choreographers. Well said. He reminds us we lost Mark and Chelsie at this point last season, and now they are part of an Emmy-nominated routine. He says the only loser this week is the dance world for losing Merce Cunningham, an avant-garde choreographer who died Sunday at age 90. I've never heard of him but for Nigel to mention him on the show he must have had a great impact on dancing. So now for the results. The final dancer in the top four is... Evan. Not a big surprise but still disappointing that such a strong dancer like Ade got cut. All the teenage girls around the country can rejoice. Ade seems perfectly happy with his place in the top six- he's still smiling as his highlight package comes up. He says he'll remember being up on the stage with all the energy and all his friends he made. Aw that's so sweet.

So what are your thoughts on tonight's show? Did America pick the right finalists (I say yes except for Evan)? Who do you think will win the title next week (I honestly have no idea)? Post your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment